10 February 2016

Ashes to ashes

Good and Gracious Father-God, it is so hard to look our own mortality in the face.  Our culture encourages us to turn aside and ignore it, even to try to run from it and always strive to look and feel younger.  And yet today, on Ash Wednesday, You whisper to us to, "Remember, O mortal, that you are dust; and to dust you shall return." (Genesis 3:19)  Help me to remember, dear Lord, what it is You have done for  me.  Help me to look death in the face and be able to shout with Paul, that we have victory even over death through Your death and resurrection!  Lord, I believe, but I beg that You would help my unbelief because, like the child that I am, I get scared... and want to run away... and not think on these things.  Help me to believe in the depths of my soul that You died so that I may have eternal life and never die.  Hold tight to my hand, dear Jesus, with Your nail-scarred hand, that I may walk even through the valley of the shadow of death itself and fear no evil because You're with me.  You are my Light, my Life, my Salvation and on You, You alone - not this vapid culture! - I depend.  All praise to You, Father Son Spirit, now and forever and ever and ever, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment